Safe, natural ways to increase your resistance to bacteria, viruses, and other invaders
The coronavirus is spreading. There is so much fear-mongering going on, so let’s start with statistics, to help put things into perspective:
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), there have been 113,702 cases reported worldwide and of those, 4,012 deaths since March 10, 2020. So the majority of people who have been infected do recover.
In the United States alone, the typical seasonal flu has claimed 14,000 lives so far this season. Worldwide that number reaches 5 million each year —yes 5 million people die from the flu each year.
That said, prevention, in any case, is always the best medicine. So the best thing you can do right now is to build up your immune system. Here are a few suggestions:
- Eat foods that are super-rich in minerals, vitamins, and nutrients. (think lots of green leafy vegetables)
- If you don’t eat enough vitamin-rich foods, consider a high-quality multivitamin/mineral supplement. Liquids and capsules generally tend to be easier to absorb and digest, but your local health food store or integrative pharmacy can help you find one that’s best for you.
- Try a Constitutional Homeopathic Remedy, which can also help strengthen your immune system.
The coronavirus can spread very easily as it is an airborne virus. The U.S Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends frequent hand washing and wearing a mask if you’re in a crowded area or if your immune system is compromised.
Good old soap and water are still the best ways to kill germs—hand sanitizers simply aren’t as effective or reliable, but they can be useful in a pinch. A lot of epidemics can be shortened in length just by hand washing and not touching your face.
The CDC reports “fever, cough and shortness of breath” as the main symptoms of coronavirus, while the WHO reports “fever, tiredness, dry cough, aches, nasal congestion, runny nose and sore throat and or diarrhea.” Because homeopathic remedies are extremely targeted, choosing the right one comes down to which remedy most closely matches your specific set of symptoms. Here are a few to try if you feel as if you’re coming down with something:
1. Influenziunm 2019-2020 30c take 1 dose once per week for 4 weeks then continue taking one dose per month. If you’re around someone with the flu, take an extra dose.
2. Aconitum napellus 30c is great for shortness of breath, high fevers, dry cough that gets worse at night, and excessive fear and worry.
3. Rumex 30c is for that incessant tickle in the back of the throat that causes a suffocating coughing spell, lots of discharge from the nose, low spirit, and the inclination to do nothing.
4. Squilla maritima 30c is geared toward treating difficult and labored breathing, sneezing with coughing, violent coughing spells, lots of worries over small things, and an aversion to doing any work.
5. Bryonia alba 30c treats dry hacking coughs that make it difficult to breathe and produce sharp pains in the chest.
6. Arsenicum album 30c is good for a dry cough that leads to exhaustion, difficult breathing, fear of disease, anxiety, and gastrointestinal issues. In fact, the Indian government has issued an advisory recommendation that homeopathy could be effective in the prevention of coronavirus with the use of Arsenicum album 30c taken once per day for 3 days.
7. Kali-carbonicum 30c is best for those experiencing shortness of breath, labored breathing, spasmodic cough, a feeling of suffocating at night, and diarrhea.
As always, these are just suggestions, please see your health care provider if you feel you are coming down with something. When consulting a homeopath, be very detailed about any symptoms you’re experiencing. As with any illness, it's best to have individualized treatment when using homeopathy.
Written by Avghi Constantinides for Better Nutrition and legally licensed through the Matcha publisher network. Please direct all licensing questions to email@example.com.